Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Use only the desk and bathroom plugs

Summary: Use visual plugs as reminders not to leave things behind
Cost: Free!

One tough thing about travel is that every hotel room is different, there isn't an established 'home base' for your things, and it is incredibly easy to leave things behind.

TIP: Your most important ally is putting things in your visual space. You are a keen observer but if something is hidden it is likely to be left behind.

One of the big culprits with leaving things behind for me (especially expensive electronics things) is the outlets in the hotel rooms. There aren't enough is one problem - which tempts you into using the deadly outlet behind the bed, under the desk, or under the nightstand.

Scenario: You plug your cell phone into the nightstand outlet. Perfect - your phone is there when you need it. The next morning you are in a rush to get up - you unplug your phone and leave the charger. You pack your bags and check out the charger (invisible) is left behind.

I use only the bathroom outlets and the desk outlets (by necessity) - brick chargers in the bathroom outlet jump right out at you. When I pack my toiletries bag I grab the charger and pack it at the same time.

If I have early check out I will pack my suitcase and leave it in the bathroom with the phone sitting on top of the suitcase. Morning comes, brush teeth, pack toiletries bag and the cell phone charger has never been left behind since.

No comments: