Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Two of Everything

Summary: You might as well buy duplicates when you can
Cost: Varies (but less than buying in an emergency)

Travel brings with it a lot of risk and challenges for the ADD person...new locations, new patterns, sleep disturbances, and many many distractions. There are a few worries we can just eliminate immediately with one system:

I call it "GET TWO OF EVERYTHING"

You just get two of everything and pack one of them. You leave it always ready for travel and always in your suitcase ready to go. Keep it contained, packaged, and ready. I can always be ready for travel on very short notice without a lot of panic or forgetting things.

You know how you are - you are going to mess up somewhere forgetting to pack something if you have to remember to take it back out of your bag and put it back in with every trip. Because you will inevatibly forget something you'll be forced to buy it where it might be really difficult to find (cell phone charger for a Verizon phone in London) or very expensive (pretty much anything you need).

When you forget something, you are scrambling on short notice, sometimes with a language barrier, no sense of where things are in your location to try to get the things you need most to be functional when you travel.

Implementation:
You need a packing checklist (covered in another post) - just get two of anything that is on your essentials list, a travel toothbrush, a travel phone charger, a travel laptop charger, a set of headphones, etc.

I have a toiletries bag that has a duplicate of everything I need in it.
I have a backpack for my laptop (I didn't duplicate that of course) that has all the things I need there for travel (my laptop travel charger is a duplicate of my desktop one - worth it - I had to do a major presentation on a borrowed laptop because I forgot the charger once.), lan cable...anyway, I'll cover this in more detail with the packing list.

No comments: