Saturday, April 5, 2008

My Coping Strategies

I have always been Attention Deficit Disorder - there wasn't a name for it when I was growing up that anyone knew. Dreamer, distractable, forgetful, not working up to expectations - the school had a lot of labels but not a lot of help. I just learned ways of dealing with the world that worked for me and let me be functional in the areas that school and work demanded while still being able to take advantage of the incredible creative engine that was also part of who I am.

My son is 15 now and takes meds to help him with school and to manage some of the hyperactivity (I'm ADD without the 'H') that he has to deal with - but I thought I should start writing down all my coping strategies for him and my nephew the G-man. Along the way I thought it might help the occasional adult that always seems to be forgetting their phone charger on business trips, leaving their credit card at the restaurant, or losing their keys.

My intent is to post my own coping strategies - the habits, techniques, tools, or gadgets that I use to get through my day - I'm not sure how often I'll update, but hopefully you'll find something that is useful to you and pass it on - or let me know your own strategy.

No comments: